The RWTH Aachen University, the Universitätsklinikum Aachen and the Forschungszentrum Jülich meet the challenges of the 21st century represented in interdisciplinary approach by the natural sciences and engineering, the production and information technology as well as the economic and social sciences. The broad expertise in Aachen, offers in comparison to other locations, an ideal environment to serve as a central point of contact for research, industry, and politics.
Particularly noteworthy is the Forschungszentrum Jülich and the Institute of Neuroscience and Medicine (INM) with its activities in the field of Medical Science and Technology. The overall orientation is on the understanding of the human brain. By integrating imaging methods there is a strong overlap of the focus area Imaging with those of JARA-BRAIN.
Furthermore, the following facilities are integrated in the Profile Area MedST:
- Fraunhofer Institute for Production Technology IPT, Fraunhofer Institute for Molecular Biology and Applied Ecology IME, Fraunhofer Institute for Laser Technology ILT
- Leibniz Association and DWI - Leibniz Institute for Interactive Materials
- European Institute of Innovation & Technology - EIT Health
- Aachen Interdisciplinary Center for Clinical Research „IZKF“,
- Network of Life Sciences - MedLife e.V.,
- RWTH Bio-Medical Engineering Cluster,
- I3TM - Integrated Interdisciplinary Institute of Technology for Medicine,
- Center for Biohybrid Medical Systems - "CMBS “,
- Centre for Translational & Clinical Research Aachen (CTCA).